We are excited to announce that the preLights Community Manager will co-moderate an upcoming workshop at the Researcher to Reader (R2R) conference, taking place on 20-21 February in London (UK). Benjamin Maier, an active member of the preLights community, will also be there adding depth and insight to the discussions.
The workshop, entitled ‘Publishers and ECRs Working Together’, draws on the fact that – in recent years – many initiatives have been launched that aim to empower early-career researchers (ECRs) in the publishing ecosystem. During the workshop, the aim is to feature the perspectives of both publishers and ECRs on existing ECR-championing and training initiatives.
This workshop will revolve around these questions (among others):
- Why and how can publishers engage with ECRs?
- What’s in it for ECRs?
- What are the technical challenges involved in setting up an ECR initiative?
- How do we make sure we engage with as diverse a group of ECRs as possible?
- What are the financial issues surrounding ECR initiatives?
- How to evaluate the impact/success of an ECR initiative?
Workshop attendees will collaboratively address these questions. We envisage that this could lead to a set of recommendations that can guide future ECR initiatives in the publishing ecosystem. Stay tuned for updates about this!